On a road trip I made a detour through the
Petrified Forest National Park. I would have liked to do more and stay longer, especially check out the town of Holbrook (many photo ops), but I wasn't feeling well (yes, still), so a drive-by was all I managed.
From the website:
The natural world of Petrified Forest is far more complex
than it seems on the surface. Located near the southern edge of the Colorado
Plateau, the park is part of an amazing geological region.
Petrified Forest has two geological formations, the Late Triassic Chinle
Formation and the Mio-Pliocene Bidahochi Formation. Many ancient environments
are represented within these layers.
The current environment is just as fascinating, a healthy
remnant of the Arizona native grassland. The types of plants and animals found
in the park depend on the climate, elevation, minerals in the soil and rock; it
all ties together. Explore the diverse natural world, both past and present, at
Petrified Forest National Park.
 |
| Petrified wood detail |
 |
| Petrified logs |
 |
| Petrified wood detail |
 |
| Painted Desert |
 |
| Painted Desert |
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.